Sunday, April 20, 2008

Coming to a Barnes & Noble Near You?

Well, yesterday I donated plasma for the first time. As you can see in the picture above, I got paid handsomely ($40) for my charitable donation – it felt great to “give back” to society. Donating plasma was an interesting experience to say the least – let’s just say that plasma centers attract people from many walks of life. Before donating plasma yesterday, I assumed that the reason you had to be 18 years of age to donate was to prevent impoverished or greedy parents from encouraging or even forcing their children to donate. However, after about 20 minutes in the waiting room I started to think that maybe the minimum age requirement was due to the ‘R-rated’ conversation that occurs within the plasma center. I heard about 5 F-bombs and several other noteworthy swears.

One of my favorite quotes came from a lady in her thirties who, upon finding out that because her plasma contained the measles antibody she’d receive an additional $7 premium for her donation, exclaimed, “Give me that extra seven dollars! That’s a pack of cigarettes.” In overhearing another conversation, I heard a guy turn to his buddy and inquire, “Do you know when they’re going to open that liquor store on Redwood? I’ve heard that’s going to be a big a** liquor store!”

Hopefully you’re starting to get a feel for the cultural experience awaiting you at the plasma center nearest to your home.

Anyway, the profitability of this donation got me to thinking. You see, a healthy individual can donate two times in a 7-day period. The first two donations pay $40 and subsequent donations pay an average of $32.50 (the compensation alternates between $35 and $30 for each donation). I can make $260/month! That’s not exactly a fortune, but it’s money that I wouldn’t have had otherwise – money that could all be saved, invested, and over time compounded.

Now, if what I’m about to tell you has an ambiguous tone that could make you uncertain as to whether I’m joking or serious it is because even I am not 100% sure as to whether or not I’m kidding, but I have a book idea. The working title for my inspirational book is…The Vein Millionaire: How I Made $1 Million by Donating Plasma. As you might well guess, the premise of the book is about how over a long period of time (say 30 years) I was able to take proceeds from plasma donation, invest them, and make million(s). I know it sounds somewhat ridiculous, but I also think that I could document some of my conversations with fellow donors along the way and contrast their use of the proceeds (buying cigarettes) with my use of the earnings (investing in common stocks – that’s my primary investing interest) and show the corresponding results of these differing manners of consumption. Of course, the book will only be successful to the extent that I make savvy investments that produce desirable results.

Another interesting angle that the book could cover is the fact that even if you don’t want to bleed for some extra cash, we can all find a little extra “plasma” money whether it be in the form of cutting unnecessary expenses or not clocking out quite so early. Anyway, let me know what you think about my book idea. Even though I think it could make for an interesting read I’m not sure I have the stick-to-it-iveness to actually donate plasma twice a week for 30 years. Furthermore, I’m not sure it even financially makes sense because I could probably achieve better compensation for my time by staying an extra 30 minutes at the office. But, it would make for an interesting story and I would be donating plasma all the while. A fortune made by donating plasma has certain perks after all; you don’t have to give back to society because you already have!

In case I have inspired any of you to become a donor, I thought you might find it helpful to know about some of the possible side effects of plasma donation, here goes:

-lightheadedness
-fainting or loss of consciousness
-nausea
-vomiting
-convulsions
-tingling of the lips and fingers
-pink or red urine (my personal favorite)
-inflammation of the needle puncture site

Happy donating!

Posted by Landon

11 comments:

Jenna said...

Okay, this is hilarious! And thanks for writing the possible side effects...now other family members might realize why I quit donating :) No, I am just a little freaked out by needles. So i'm guessing that you're going again? Good for you. The real test is if you make it past the second round...that was my finishing point. Last but not least, the name of your book is amazing! Very Clever!!!

Ashley Gower said...

Even if you don't make savvy investments, I still think it would be an interesting read, because while you spent time thinking cigarette lady was an idiot, it turned out both of you ended up just burning cash. Then it would make you stop and ponder about how stupid those people really are, and are we really all that different? Yes, we are.

Jaimie said...

Wow... lots of side effects for $40big ones. Now that's funny. Love the picture of you out front of the donation center. I love how you shared why others were there for the money - cigarettes, liquor, etc. So why were you there for the money? Love the book idea. Sounds like a great read. I think you've just discovered your big opportunity. Follow your dreams bro... I say keep on donating.

M Occasionally B said...

hands down, one of the funniest blogs I've read in awhile...

Peterson's said...

You didn't donate in Rexburg? That was our saving grace. We used it to go on dates. Back then it wasn't the whopping $30-35 that you are so privileged to take advantage of. Good luck donating plasma in your 50's. Very funny to say the least

Shawn

Marci said...

wow that was enlightening. thanks for sharing! Hope work is going great!

Marci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
angie said...

so awesome...if i wasn't prego i would seriously become a professional donor!! ha ha derek did it all the time on his mission for a few extra bucks!

Ruth said...

Landon,
I had no idea you were so funny! You should totally go for the book idea. If the donating doesn't make you a million, then the book surely will!

Anonymous said...

LANDON.. I DID THAT IN COLLEGE ALL THE TIME!!! way to go!!! YOU NEED TO DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!! HA HA I Love it..

Jenny and Josh said...

hahahaha! My husband worked at this plasma center when we first got married. He was one of the guys who poked the finger and checked the blood levels . My favorite story is that a lady kept trying to hide weights in her pockets because your pay partly depends on your weight. When he would catch her she would go just little nuts! We found a new job as fast as we could :)