Sunday, January 31, 2010

Advice Needed

So, for the past two nights Owen has climbed out of his crib and gotten into bed with us. The first night he had been crying for a few minutes and as I was going to get him I heard a thump, which I just thought was him hitting his crib in anger but when I got to his room I realized it was him hitting the floor because he had gotten out. Last night I didn't hear him crying at all, he just appeared in our room. Our dilemma is whether to put him in a toddler/twin bed or just to wait. Obviously we don't want him climbing out every night and eventually hurting himself. I could lower the side of the crib to make it easier for him, but I wonder if it's just time to make the switch for him anyway. Does anyone have any recommendations? We aren't sure what to do!

5 comments:

Justina Selim said...

Eva started doing that about 2 months ago too. It was awful because she would do it as soon as we would lay her down to go to sleep and that would make the whole falling asleep process take forever! I was stressing about what to do and then one night he got hurt (not bad) trying to climb out and she hasn't done it since. So I guess we got out of finding a solution for that one, ha. I have friends who are in love with crib tents. I was almost ready to go get one.

Peterson's said...

I would make the switch....My reasoning was: even if its not everyday, I didn't want her to do it while a babysitter was watching her. So once she did it three times that was enough, time for a bed.

Jaimie said...

Wow Mer. I don't know what to tell you. None of my kids have ever climbed out on their own. That is a tough one. I bet that does make bedtime hard.

TEISHA said...

I made the switch when this happened. We decided to buy her a full size bed and put her right in it. She never fell out and loved it. Matt had her help set it up and made it a really exciting thing. We also put a child proof door knob on the inside of her door. She knocks when she wakes up and it has worked great. Good luck!

Rendy Tucker said...

I would say its time for a toddler bed, but you definitely need to come up with a system to keep him in the bed and not in yours. One thing that worked for us was to give Dylan a glow stick every night when he went to bed (they're like 6/$1 at the Dollar store). If he yelled or got out of bed, we'd take the glow stick away(and obviously we told him that first). It was nice because he could see that it was there all night and gave him some comfort, plus it was enough of an incentive to keep him in his bed. Good luck! He seems very motivated to come sleep in your bed- enough so that he would climb out of the crib- so you might have more work on your hands than we did!